Thursday, May 28, 2009

Giving


When it comes to giving, most of us have several questions and concerns.

Who am I to give ?
Where am I to give ?
What should I give ?

I have come across people who give ONLY to their community, ONLY to their religion and ONLY to their country. I, on the other hand always used to THINK a zillion times before giving to make sure that the person deserves to be given. Is this a true act of giving ? For all those who need answers, Here is an excerpt from "The Prophet" by Kahlil Gibran whose writings i have always cherished.

You often say, "I would give, but only to the deserving."

The trees in your orchard say not so, nor the flocks in your pasture.
They give that they may live, for to withhold is to perish.
Surely he who is worthy to receive his days and his nights is worthy of all else from you.
And he who has deserved to drink from the ocean of life deserves to fill his cup from your little stream.

- Khalil Gibran

Therefore give now, that the season of giving may be yours and not your inheritors'.

No comments:

Post a Comment